Tuesday, July 26, 2011

God IS love.

I opened my devotional book to a random page tonight and it just so happened to be titled "Bankrupt Without Love." It was based off of 1 Corinthians 13:3-7. I looked at it and thought, "Oh, I have this memorized. There's no need to read it tonight." WHAM! That is the sound effect that occurred when Jesus came down from Heaven Himself and slapped me right in the head. When I think of 1 Corinthians 13:3-7 I think of the typical wedding. People who aren't even followers of Jesus have this scripture recited at their wedding. That's just it... "recited." This verse is probably used at more weddings than church services. Ouch... that hurts and that is exactly what God revealed to me tonight as I read through these precious lines that represent the Father I so dearly love. Before tonight, I could quote 1 Corinthians 13:3-7 and I would picture Mandy Moore in A Walk to Remember. Now, I read this scripture with a broken heart. My Father's heart. 1 John 4:8 says, that "whoever does not love does not know God, because God IS love." Hello, we hear it all the time but do you truly grasp the meaning and realness of the fact that God IS love. We can't know God if we do not know LOVE. God paints the perfect picture of what love should look like and this world has covered it with as much "junk" as possible. Love is supposed to be light, not darkness. It is supposed to be patient, not rushed. It is supposed to fragile, not thrown around like a basketball. We should CHERISH the love of the Father. Why? Because He IS love. Everytime I read 1 Corinthians 13:3-7, I will no longer picture a bride and groom, or Mandy Moore, but I will picture my Savior, Jesus Christ, hanging on the cross and DYING for me. That is love, my friends. A love that we cannot even grasp. A love that has been jaded and mistreated. But I long to know that love, to truly know it. And to share it with everyone I meet, whether it be here, there, or across the world. I want to bring the love of Jesus. A selfless and beautiful love.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."
1 Corinthians 13:3-7

No comments:

Post a Comment