Thursday, December 15, 2011

A Semester Full of Surprises

I haven't blogged in so long, I'm not sure how this will go but it's time to sit down and talk about my life. If not for people to read, for me to thank God for the goodness He has poured out on me this semester. Going into college, I wasn't so sure how I would adjust. Especially after just returning to the states from the place that stole my heart forever, Africa. I spent many nights asking God the same question, "Why can't I just skip the whole college experience and start loving on people overseas?" I was so lovesick with Africa that I doubted God could have anything better for me at Arkansas Tech University. If I have learned anything valuable this semester, it is to never doubt God, always trust Him. His ways are much higher than our own and although we can try our hardest to plan our steps, He is the only One who can direct them. 

Moving to Russellville and attending Arkansas Tech University has been nothing but a blessing for so many reasons. 

First:  I am involved in what I am convinced is the best Bible study ever created. Thursdays are my favorite for the sole purpose of gathering in an apartment living room with a group of girls who are so passionate about their walk with the Lord and want nothing more than to whole-heatedly seek Him in every aspect of their lives. This semester we studied James. Every week we dug into the Word of God and prayed for Him to open our hearts for the Truth that He would reveal in our hour together (plus thirty minutes because we always went over). It was a blessing getting to know each and every one of these girls and hearing their hearts on a weekly basis. It's so comforting, especially as a Freshman in college, to know that you have a group of Godly women behind you, never failing to kneel in prayer when you need it. I thank Jesus for my Bible study.

Second:  I love my roommate. She is such a God-fearing ray of sunshine. She is the nicest girl in the world, and I secretly giggled when she opened the door saying, "I did something mean today." She lives to share Christ with people. So much so, she woke up at 3am to share the hope of Jesus with someone in our lobby. I adore her. She is a prime example of what the Bible says in Proverbs 31:25 and I am so blessed to have her in my life. We room so well together which is wonderful, especially since we didn't know each other before college. God was so good to us for that. I am thankful that we can pray together and she will listen to me when I just wanna talk. I will forever miss walking to CSP with our string cheese together. I can't wait to enjoy another semester staying up until 2 talking about the exciting things God has in store for our future. 

Third:  Before coming to college, I was single and I planned to stay that way. I know God is laughing at me as I write this because out of all people, I should know better than to "plan" any part of my life, especially in the area of romantic relationships. I gave Him the pen to that a long time ago. Once I got to college, I did what every freshman girl does and scoped out the good-looking guys. Of course there were a number of them but I have to say that Ethan Gammill was at the top of my list. Every time I saw him around campus, in Brown or walking in the cafe, I couldn't help but nudge my best friend on the arm and look his direction. It may sound creepy but I know that all of you girls do it, too. Ethan has been a huge blessing to me. He is everything and more I've ever asked God for in a boyfriend. We have so much fun together and he loves the Lord with his whole heart. He makes me super happy and he has impacted my life greatly already. I can't wait for more semesters with him :)

Fourth: As many of you know, Africa is so very dear to me. Through a lot of cool "God moments" I have filled out an application to volunteer at Amani Baby Cottage in Jinja, Uganda this summer for a month. If God wants it to happen, He will let it and I will know it is where He wants me this summer. But if not, I will know He has something in store for me and that is fine, too. 

Fifth: I have met and made so many wonderful friends. From girls on my floor to girls who share the same passion as me, God has blessed me greatly. I can't wait to strengthen the relationships I've already made next semester and make more. I remember my youth pastor's wife and I had coffee right before I left for college and she gave me a very special necklace. A starfish. If you don't know the story, there was a man walking along the seashore and saw hundreds of starfish that had been washed up. Frantically, he started chunking as many as he could back into the ocean so they would not die. He said, "If I can just get one. If I can just give life back to one of these starfish, I will be happy." And he did just that. Monica gave me the necklace and told me that she had such a peace about me going to Arkansas Tech. That I would be the "man that found the starfish." And I would try with all my might to throw just one back into the ocean so that it could find life again. With God's help, this story came true shortly after being at Arkansas Tech. I am so thankful and humbled that I could help one starfish find life. I will keep searching for the struggling starfish. 

There are many more things that I have experienced this semester that will forever impact my life, but I will save them for another blog post. I am so thrilled with what God is doing in my life and showing me. He is so good and He goes before all that I will ever do. Never doubt His greatness. 

Be blessed,
Taylor.


No comments:

Post a Comment